Wednesday, October 31, 2007

view from the grass



This term ive been feeling bankrupt in terms of ideas. Ive been suffering form what you might call a creative block. I began thinking about the last time I felt this "stuck". It was spring of 2006. I was trying to decide where to go to Grad school. It was between CCA and PSU. I couldnt decide I had two weeks left before I had to make my decision. I tried everything. I went running every morning. I went for long rides on my skateboard. I took a hot bath. I made a list of positives for both schools and they came out equal. I was paralyzed in a state of indecision. So I went to see my accupuncturist. He told me to " Lay on the earth". A day or so went by, it was raining outside so I tried lying down on the floor in my room. It didnt help. I was trapped further and further in my thoughts. About a week later the sun came out and it was Portland's first day of spring. I stepped out of my backdoor and entered our yard. I flopped down on my back. It was wonderful. Finally a moment of clarity.

It would be fun to organize a creative unblocking event where a group of people lay on the grass together.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So laying on the the earth gave the answer as to which graduate school to attend...interesting...have you tried laying on the earth for answers to other questions you have...you and your accupuncturist may be on to something important!